I knew every song you played, and you played everything just the way
I remembered it!
Our motto: “Nothing after 31 December 1969”
Most of our repertoire songs are familiar to almost everyone. We can perform well over 100 songs – although a typical gig has time for only about 40 or 50 and so you will not hear all of those below. Younger audience members usually are familiar with many of them through their parents or song revivals, and love to dance and sing along.
- A highlight is a selection of Shadows instrumentals (like Apache, Wonderful Land).
- We feature songs from early rockers like Elvis (e.g. Return to Sender, Don’t Be Cruel), Buddy Holly (a medley), some fun numbers from the Everly Brothers (such as Bird Dog, Wake Up Little Susie), Roy Orbison (Working for the Man), Chuck Berry (Johnny B. Goode) and Little Richard (Rip It Up).
- There are the 60s groups such as the Beatles (e.g. She Loves You, You Can’t Do That, I Saw Her Standing There), the Searchers (e.g. When You Walk In The Room), the Rolling Stones (e.g. Under The Boardwalk, It’s All Over Now, Route 66) and Bob Dylan as sung by the Turtles (It Ain’t Me Babe) and others like Van Morrison (Gloria) and The Doors (Light My Fire).
- We also throw in some of the great 60s summer / surfing / Beach Boys songs (such as Hanging Five, Surf City, Summertime Blues, Help Me Rhonda).
And there may be a few Latino numbers (e.g. Diana – Paul Anka, Sway, Blame It On The Bossa Nova).
- Plus some doo wop numbers, with those distinctive vocal bass lines and big harmony backing, like Little Darling, Blue Moon, Rama Lama Ding Dong.
- Many ballads are included when some quieter music is needed at the start or the end of the evening (e.g. Stand By Me, Baby It’s You, Dream, Let It Be Me).
- Then there are classic girl songs of the era – e.g. It’s My Party (and I’ll cry if I want to!), Stupid Cupid (stop picking on me!), My Guy – through to the drama of You Don’t Own Me (I’m not just one of your many toys).
Types of functions have included corporate parties, weddings, 21st, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th and other birthdays, balls, fundraising events, Christmas and New Years Eve parties. Out of the Shadows has played at dozens of venues and numerous private residences in Sydney over the past ten years. A list of past venues is available on this website.